360 SMART LINGO is Hiring!
At 360 SMART LINGO, we strive for a world in which language access is a global right. Use your language skills to dramatically improve the lives of limited-English speakers. Even better, you can do this while working from your own home.
Our interpreters serve clients across numerous industries, including health care, 911, first responders, education, government agencies, and all walks of business.
As an interpreter we’ll ensure that you learn new skills while further developing your skillset. We provide numerous opportunities for advancement. You'll also be supported by a Senior Language Specialist, as well as our Tech Help Desks.
Join our team now!
Work at Home Bilingual Portuguese-English Video-Phone Interpreter
Job Title: Portuguese Interpreter
Location: Work at Home position (positions may not be available in all areas)
Position: Video-Phone Interpreter
The Portuguese Video-Telephone- Interpreter is responsible for handling calls on demand and renders the meaning of conversations between Portuguese and English speakers. The interpreter breaks the communication barrier in a wide range of industries that 360 Smart Lingo serves: Healthcare, Government, Insurance, Financial, Utilities, Travel & Hospitality, General Business, Law Enforcement, and 911.
The interpreter processes information quickly, concisely and recognizes sensitive cultural differences. The interpreter is professional and courteous at all times and uses appropriate terminology and understands common industry procedures and practices. The video and audio interpreting sessions may involve simple or complex, technical or non-technical subjects.
This position does not involve written translation however translators and other skilled linguists are encouraged to apply. The interpreters translate verbally.
**This is a remote position. The Interpreter works from his/her home-office. It is essential to ensure a quiet & secure environment**
Essential Job Functions:
- Respond to video and audio interpreting sessions promptly and conduct interpretation in a friendly and professional manner.
- Deliver interpretation services via video on a personal computer, in order to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Render correct concepts and meanings according to the conventions of established interpretation protocol, avoiding omissions or additions.
- Speak clearly in both languages using proper pronunciation, enunciation and polite expressions.
- Maintain a professional demeanor throughout the video and audio interpreting sessions at all times.
- Remain calm during video and audio interpreting sessions in the event that one of the primary speakers is incoherent or upset, especially in emergency situations such as 911 calls.
- Maintain punctuality and availability during scheduled work hours.
- Follow client instructions, in compliance with protocol to ensure client expectations are met with the Limited English-speaking Person (LEP), avoiding interaction with the LEP without client’s permission.
- Understand protocol and terminology for various industries including, but not limited to, Medical, Insurance and Finance.
- Demonstrate commitment to cultural sensitivity and working in a diverse environment.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics.
- Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating with the LEP.
- Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy during interpretation.
- Education or work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation is preferred.
- Must be able to adapt to any 360 Smart Lingo technology enhancements that improve service delivery and meet client demands.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with 360 Smart Lingo (i.e., H1-B visa, F-1 visa (OPT), TN visa or any other non-immigrant status).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Candidates who are currently employed by a client of 360 Smart Lingo or an affiliated 360 Smart Lingo business may not be eligible for consideration.
- Ability to read and write the requested languages – highly preferred.
**Based on your location, a post-offer and/or a pre-employment background check may be required**
- High speed Internet connection for work related electronic communication. This internet connection should provide download speeds of no less than 10 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps.
- Your home office should provide space for a backdrop of 5 ft by 7 ft, and a desk and chair.
- A direct connection from the modem to the desktop or laptop must be used. Cable or fiber optic services are preferred. For optimal connectivity: Satellite service is not permissible.
- Must have access to a quiet space free from background noise or distraction.
- Must be able to operate a keyboard and mouse and remain in a stationary position in front of a computer and webcam the majority of the workday.
- Must use a headset for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to operate company provided software and systems to perform all aspects of the job.
- Must have sufficient manual dexterity to type or write.
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels, i.e. computer, audio, telephone.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race. color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-I.35(c)